Today's recipe is a delicious blend of graham cracker, chocolate, and creamy marshmallow. The chewy and gooey consistency will leave you wanting more. What is not to love about all of these flavors in one bite?
There are several lower calorie ingredients in this recipe. I am pretty sure you will never guess one! As I do in most of my recipes I substituted a portion of the oil with applesauce. Not a surprise right?! Another typical lower calorie method I used was to decrease the sugar content. In the original recipe I only used 3/4 cups + 1 tablespoon sugar, which resulted in a semi-sweet result. Luckily the sweetness of the marshmallow compensated for the lower sugar level in the brownie layer. For a slightly sweeter (still not overly sweet) outcome I would recommend using 1 cup of sugar. You could also use a sugar substitute such as Splenda to dramatically reduce the calories. And now for the secret recipe substitution...
To further reduce the fat content (note one serving is less than 3 grams of fat) I used baby food prunes! Typically you can replace up to 1/2 of the fat with baby food prunes. No one will ever taste the prunes in the recipe! Just don't let them see you prepare the recipe! I made the mistake of allowing my husband in the kitchen when I was baking with prunes and he refused to give the dessert a try. Given all the lower fat substitutions I decided to keep both eggs and not make any substitutions with egg whites.
These bars are best served warm right out of the oven or reheated for about 20 seconds before serving.
We have some more exciting recipes and NEWS coming up in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
Your family's dietitian,
Skinny Smores Brownies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 - 30 minutes
Keywords: dessert chocolate
Ingredients (16 squares)
- 4 graham cracker sheets
- 2 tablespoons light buttery spread (ie. Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread) (you could also use butter)
- 2 eggs, large
- 4 ounces baby food prunes
- 1 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce
- 5-6 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon - 1 cup granulated sugar (for a typical sweetness go with 1 cup total) (a sugar substitute could also be used)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 9-16 large (jet puffed) marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, spray a 9 x 9 inch glass pan with non-stick cooking spray
2. Crush graham crackers in a plastic bag using a rolling pin
3. In a small bowl mix together graham crackers and buttery spread and press into glass pan
4. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs; add oil, prunes, applesauce, vanilla; add sugar, cocoa; add flour; pour over graham cracker layer and spread evenly with knife
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes or until toothpick placed in center comes out clean
6. Remove brownies from oven and top with marshmallows; bake for another 3-5 minutes or until marshmallows slightly browned and melted (if not browning turn oven to broil but watch carefully and note marshmallows will continue to melt once removed from oven).Best when served warmNutrition:
Serving size: 1/16 recipe • Servings: 16 • Calories: 155.7 kcal • Protein: 1.6 g • Carbs: 30.9 g • Fat: 2.8 g • Fiber: 0.5 g • Sugar: 22.7 g • Sodium: n/a
Powered by Recipage