Rice Krispie Treats are one of my favorite lower calorie sweet treats (yes they still do have a significant amount of sugar). Even more I love putting a fun and creative twist on the traditional recipe. It has been while since I posted a Rice Krispie treat recipe so here you go!
Rice Krispie Treats are one of the first desserts I learned how to cook. I believe one year at summer camp we made them using a microwave. Every since I have been addicted!
To make these treats healthier I used a light buttery spread to replace the butter and lessoned the marshmallows a small amount. I added fruit through a dried fruit source, however you could also try adding frozen strawberries. If you have a gluten sensitivity you could substitute the Rice Krispies for a similar gluten free cereal (marshmallows are gluten free).
It took me a few tries to get the recipe just right. The first time I made the recipe I forgot to turn down the heat when I added the Rice Krispies and I got "snap, crackle, pop". Not a sound you want to hear while making Rice Krispie treats. Another time I added less buttery spread and they treats ended up extremely hard, so hard I had to pry them out of the glass pan. As I pried little Rice Krispies flew across the kitchen.
What is your favorite way to enjoy Rice Krispies? Check out another recipe Pistachio Rice Krispie Treats.
Your family's dietitian,
Skinny Strawberry Cheesecake Rice Krispie Treats
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: dessert fruit
Ingredients (12 squares)
- 3 tablespoons Smart Balance Light
- 4 cups mini marshmellows
- 1 cup dried strawberries
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 3.4 oz Sugar-free instant pudding mix (Cheesecake flavor)
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. Spray glass pan with non-stick cooking spray
2. In a large pot or skillet melt Smart Balance (coat pan to prevent sticking of marshmallows) over medium heat
3. Add marshmallows and melt on low-medium heat; add pudding mix
4. Remove from heat and add Rice Krispies; add strawberries
6. Spread in 9 x 13 inch glass pan
7. Let cool for about 30 minutes before servingNutrition:
Serving size: 1 square • Servings: 12 • Calories: 145.1 kcal • Protein: 1.0 g • Carbs: 31.1 g • Fat: 1.4 g • Fiber:1.0 g • Sugar: 16.1 g • Sodium: 137.2 mg
Powered by Recipage