One cup, limited temptations, fat free, few ingredients, and delicious.
These are all descriptions of my "Chocolate Angel Food Mug Cake". In only 6-8 minutes you too can create this delicious treat. Grab you hand mixer and only 5 ingredients to get started. Those "few" ingredients would be sugar, flour, egg white, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. What is not to love about a chocolate cake that only has 0.2 grams of fat?!
Two years ago, my very first recipe blog post was a mug cake. I created a delicious Strawberry Shortcake - Coffee Mug Style. For that recipe I used box cake mixes, however as I continue to blog I aim to make a majority of my recipes from scratch. Check out the picture quality from this old post! Thankfully my photography skills and equipment have drastically improved since this picture was taken. I think I took this picture with a super old IPhone.
If you are not familiar with a "mug cake" - it simply refers to a single serving cake cooked in the microwave. Typically most mug cakes only need one minute to cook and are made with less than 5 ingredients. Mug cakes are perfect for someone who has a sweet tooth, but doesn't want to make an entire recipe they could be tempted to eat.
Be creative with the toppings for this mug cake. I topped mine with TruWhip, a natural whipped topping, and chocolate sprinkles. Consider adding your favorite fruit, nuts, or granola!
Your family's dietitian,
Prep Time: 6-8 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Keywords: dessert chocolate
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 tablespoon white flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar (could substitute with sugar substitute)
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Using a hand mixer, beat egg white for about 2 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
2. Add sugar and continue to beat for another 2 minutes (should continue to have stiff peaks)
3. Gradually add in flour and continue to beat; add vanilla and mix until well blended
4. Pour into coffee mug (I sprayed a small amount of non-stick cooking spray into mug before I poured batter); microwave for about 1 minute
5. Top with a whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), fruit, sprinkles, etc.Nutrition:
Serving size: 1 mug cake • Servings: 1 • Calories: 128.9 kcal • Protein: 4.9 g • Carbs: 26.7 g • Fat: 2.6 g • Fiber: 0.2 g • Sugar: 17.2 g • Sodium: 55.3 mg
Powered by Recipage