My family started our Cinco De Mayo celebration early this year! What is better than to start the celebration with a healthier "Seven Layer Dip" recipe?!
Growing up "seven layer dips" were quite popular among my friends and family. Unfortunately picky eating habits withheld me from enjoying this mouthwatering goodness, but everyone around me would consume this dip as if it were going extinct. The dip was made for sleepovers, cook-outs, birthday parties, and any other event you could imagine.
The popular recipe may taste delicious, but from a nutritional standpoint can offer an exuberant amount of calories. From the beans to the sour cream, each ingredient contributes to the high calorie and fat content. On a positive note with a few simple recipe substitutions the calories can dramatically diminish. Low fat versions are available for two of the ingredients: the cheese and beans. I substituted the sour cream with Greek Yogurt. Although you could use pre-package guacamole I used the guacamole recipe I posted last Cinco De Mayo. I have to admit my family had no idea the substitutions were made!
One of my favorite features of this recipe is the portion controlled servings. If the recipe is made in 4 small containers, 1/2 of the container is considered a serving. Commonly when people try to choose healthier foods, they fail to recognize the need to understand what a serving size constitutes. Dips are especially problematic as they are typically consumed from a larger bowl during times of socialization - making it difficult the mind to register the amount of food consumed.
My excitement for this holiday might have led to another inspired recipe creation. Any guesses?! Guess you will have to wait until the official Cinco de Mayo!
Guiltless Seven Layer Dip
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: None
Keywords: appetizer holiday vegetarian
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1 cup guacamole (or make your own – see above for recipe)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 + 1/4 fat free refried beans
- ½ tomato, cut into small cubes
- ¼ bunch of green onions, sliced
- ½ cup iceburg lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
InstructionsFor 4 containers
1. Spread ¼ of lettuce on bottom of container, layer with 5 tablespoons of refried beans, add with 2-3 tablespoons of guacamole, add with 4 tablespoons of yogurt, add 4 tablespoons salsa, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese, top with onions and tomatoes
2. Repeat for remaining cups or containersNutrition:
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: ½ of container • Calories: 105.2 kcal • Protein: 6.6 g • Sodium: 416.1 mg • Carbs: 11.1 g • Fat: 4.1 g • Fiber: 4.2 • Sugars: 0.7 g
Powered by Recipage