Football season is here and Watch parties are in full swing! During the fall season, my slow cooker is kept readily accessible - I typically prepare a variety of meats, soups, and dip recipes in it. What is not to love about adding a few simple ingredients and then coming back in 4-6 hours to a delicious recipe?! Meat prepared in a slow cooker comes out delightfully moist and tender, something hard to replicate with most other cooking methods.
Typically many football season festivities are associated with large food varieties and higher calorie options. Beef and pork barbecue are common among football party foods. These sliders are already pre-portioned into individual servings and offer a leaner protein source to help keep calories under control and provide optimal satiety. While the baguette is a refined carbohydrate source, you could opt to choose a whole grain baguette to provide more fiber.
To make this recipe for Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Baguette Sliders you will need to add chicken breasts and a few other ingredients you likely already have in the fridge to the slow cooker. Simplicity at its best! Once the chicken is ready to eat you top the pre-sliced baguettes with the chicken and a small amount of cheddar cheese (or any variety of cheese you desire). You put it in the oven for a few minutes and voila your appetizers are ready. For a balanced approach serve with vegetable kabobs or mini salads.
The best part is the slow cooker barbecue chicken can be used in a variety of recipes outside the one I am sharing today like tacos, salads, sandwiches, or as part of appetizers throughout the week. Preparing protein sources like chicken in advance is helpful with meal planning and can help reduce the day to day stress of meal preparation.
Another important aspect to take into account when hanging out at a football gathering is the liquid calories - whether it be soda or alcoholic beverages they can add up quickly. Try to choose lower sugar sodas or diet varieties and limit alcoholic beverages to 1-2 drinks for the day. Make sure to drink at least one glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage.
Happy football season!
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Baguette Sliders
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 hours
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 Baguettes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
InstructionsSlow Cooker Chicken Instructions
1. Lightly salt the chicken breasts and place in single layer on bottom of slow cooker.
2. In small bowl whisk together barbecue sauce, dressing, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour mixture over chicken breasts and put lid on slow cooker.
3. Cook on low in slow cooker for approximately 4-6 hours or until chicken cooked through
4. Approximately 30-60 minutes prior to completion take a fork and further shred kitchen; spoon access liquid over shredded chicken to marinate well.Slider Instructions
1. Preheat oven by turning broiler on.
2. Cut baguette into about 3/4 - 1 inch slices, place in single layer on non-stick cookie sheet (may want to spray with non-stick spray).
3. Spoon desired amount of barbecue chicken on all pieces of bread. If desired top with a little bit of extra barbecue sauce. Top with desired amount of cheese.
4. Place in oven for about 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted and cheese melted (its important to keep a close eye on the sliders as the bread will burn quickly).
5. Repeat steps if desire to make more sliders or refrigerate chicken for later.
Powered by Recipage