Summer is here and for my family, that means one thing - grilling season! I enjoy grilling a variety of different types of foods. Veggies, fruit, pizza, etc - you name it and I will grill it. The clean up is simple and the heat stays outside.
My current grilling obsession is this Tomato Herb Tilapia Foil Pouch recipe. The preparation is amazingly easy. Mix all ingredients (except fish) and then fill the foil pouch with fish and pre-mixed ingredients. Throw the foil pouches on the grill (or can use the oven) for 20-25 minutes and voila a delicious dinner is prepared! We served the fish with a small amount of brown rice.
I am always looking for ways to increase my family's intake of fish and recipes such as this one using the foil pouch method are simple ways to achieve this goal. Fish is a great source of protein and omega-3 fats, which are extremely beneficial to the body and brain. The 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans suggest consumption of fish at least 2-3 times per week for optimal health benefits. Recent data suggests approximately 80-90% of Americans are not meeting this recommendation.
Check out a few of the other fish recipes I have posted on the blog:
And I can promise there will be more to come!
Your Family's Dietitian,
Tomato Herb Tilapia Foil Pouch
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Keywords: entree fish
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 2 medium tilapia fillets
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, diced into fine pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- dash of salt
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat grill to medium-high (temperature should be about 400-450 degrees Fahrenheit). Can also pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium bowl mix together tomatoes, cilantro, onions, olive oil, and salt. Set aside.
3. Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the tilapia filets
4. For each packet, use about 2 large (about 20 inches long) sheets of foil and lay flat out and spray with non-stick spray.
5. Spoon about 1/4 of the veggie mixture onto one foil piece, place tilapia filet on top, spoon another 1/4 of veggie mixture on top of tilapia filet.
6. Bring sides of foil up around fish, seal each package by bringing edges of foil together and crimping it together, don't press it flat
7. Repeat step 5 and 6 for second tilapia fillet
8. Place tilapia pouch on the grill for about 18-22 minutes depending on the size of tilapia. Remove and enjoy.
Powered by Recipage