These delicious low carbohydrate and grain-free breadsticks, inspired by the recent cloud bread craze, are topped with garlic and parmesan cheese!Perhaps I was a bit ahead of the times with my cloud bread recipe posts last year?! Apparently one of the food trends of 2016 is Cloud Bread. Several of my weight loss clients introduced me to cloud bread several years ago. Back then I remember searching for this peculiar recipe concept they mentioned. Only a few recipes popped up in my search. Now if you search for Cloud Bread recipes hundreds will pop up.
For those of you that are not familiar with this low carbohydrate and gluten free bread option known as "Cloud Bread"- it's a light and fluffy bread replacement made with separated eggs, cream of tartar, and cream cheese. The most important part of the preparation is separating the eggs and creating a fluffy egg white mixture, somewhat similar to creating a meringue.
The original Cloud Bread recipes produce medium sized thin bread rounds. In today's recipe for Garlic Cloud Breadsticks, I took the Cloud Bread recipe in a new direction. The Cloud Breads were formed into thin longer sticks and topped with garlic and parmesan cheese, to resemble a bread stick. The Garlic Cloud Breadsticks are perfect to pair with your favorite low carbohydrate Italian inspired dish such as spaghetti squash topped with meat sauce.
In case you missed it, my Cloud Bread Pizza recipe has been featured in several popular online sources such as Huffington Post and Self. Check out these posts for my recipe plus many more exciting Cloud Bread Recipes!
- 9 Delicious Ways to Enjoy Cloud Bread
- What the Heck is Cloud Bread And Why are So Many People Pinning It?
- Is Cloud Bread Good for You?
Your Family's Dietitian,
Garlic Cloud Breadsticks
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-28 minutes
Keywords: entree side snack bread protein
Ingredients (8-10 breadsticks)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 Tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 Tablespoon honey or 2-3 drops liquid stevia (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of Italian seasoning
- Dash of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie with non-stick Silpat sheets or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Separate eggs with an egg separator (making sure no yolk gets into whites)
3. Pour egg whites into a medium bowl and add cream of tartar. Use a mixer on high to beat mixture until a fluffy mixture with stiff peaks forms.
4. In a separate bowl beat together the egg yolks, cream cheese, sweetener, salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
5. Carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the fluffy egg white mixture with a spatula.
6. Spoon the mixture into breadstick shapes ~1 - 1 1/2 inch in width
7. Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes
8. Remove from oven and brush each breadstick with a light coating of butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder.
9. Bake for another 5-8 minutes or until slightly browned
10. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
Powered by Recipage