With a few simple lower calorie ingredients you can assemble this no-bake festive Healthier Cranberry Trifle dessert
Today I am sharing a recipe that I made for a recent television segment I took part in! Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to share 4 of my favorite healthier holiday dishes on the local CBS affiliate as part of my work with a client (see video below). I always jump on the opportunity to share nutrition information on television! In fact, one of my bucket list items is to appear on the Today Show. I hope someday after more experience on local television I can cross it off my list.
It takes a lot of work preparing for a television segment, especially when the segment involves showcasing recipes. Weeks before the segment was taped I brainstormed what recipes to share. A few days before the segment I went grocery shopping and did a trial run with all the recipes. Fortunately, all of the recipes turned out as I hoped. Lastly, the night before the segment I spruced up some of the recipes I was able to save over and recreated the others. In between the recipe prep I rehearsed some of what I hoped to say during the segment.
The recipes I featured were:
- Christmas Ornament Vegetable Tray
- Tuna Macaroni and Cheese Cups (recipe coming soon)
- Cauliflower Mash
- Healthier Cranberry Trifle
The last recipe is what I am sharing in today's post. A Healthier Cranberry Trifle is extremely simple to assemble and can be ready to serve in minutes. To keep the calories in check, I used store-bought angel food cake (could also make your own) and created a creamy mixture made with whipped topping and Greek yogurt. The only other ingredient you need is fresh cranberries or cranberry sauce. I told you this recipe was easy right?!
Here are some fun shots I took while in the studio:
If you follow me on Instagram you already saw this "television station selfie" I posted. I took this as I was waiting on the host to arrive.
I had a great timing taping this segment for Healthier Holiday Dishes!
And here is the promised video link.....
Your Family's Dietitian,
Disclosure: I was compensated by the National Fisheries Institute for my time spent preparing the segment, however, not for this blog post. All thoughts and opinions in this blog post are my own.
Healthier Cranberry Trifle
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (1 cake (12 servings))
- 1 1/2 - 2 Angel food cake, baked (can use store purchased)
- 2 containers whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
- 2-32 oz containers vanilla Greek yogurt (for a less sweet option go with plain)
- 2-3 containers cranberry sauce
- optional: additional fruit like cranberries, oranges, etc
1. Cut angel food cake into thirds horizontally (it might be easier to cut in half in vertically first)
2. Whisk together Greek yogurt and whipped topping until well combined
3. Place angel food cake pieces in single layer on bottom of trifle dish to completely cover. You may need to break pieces (make sure to place angel food all the way to edge of dish)
3. Spread a layer of cranberry sauce over angel food cake layer (make sure to spread all the way to edge)
4. Gently spoon 1/2 of the creamy mixture over the sauce layer; take a knife or spatula to evenly spread (again make sure to spread all the way to edge of dish)
5. Place angel food cake pieces in single layer over creamy layer to completely cover. You may need to break pieces (make sure to place angel food all the way to edge of dish)
6. Spread a layer of cranberry sauce over angel food cake layer (make sure to spread all the way to edge)
7. Gently spoon 1/2 of the creamy mixture over the sauce layer; take a knife or spatula to evenly spread (again make sure to spread all the way to edge of dish)
8. Optional: top with fruit of choice
Powered by Recipage