About a month ago I was on a huge marsala kick. I tried to make anything and everything into a marsala dish. I started with a slow cooker chicken marsala (funny store below about this). After a few tries at the chicken marsala I got the idea for the Quinoa Marsala recipe.
My husband is always the taste tester for new recipes. Sometimes he approves and sometimes he doesn't. He couldn't get enough of this recipe. Many of my clients are not a fan of the whole grain, quinoa due to the bold nutty flavor. This recipe will help you overcome the fear of the quinoa flavor. The slightly sweet flavor of the marsala blends beautifully with the quinoa flavor.
So for the funny story. In preparation for my first attempt at the slow cooker chicken marsala I found an old bottle of marsala cooking wine in the kitchen that my father-in-law had left during a recent visit. A few months ago he moved and left a few things he no longer needed at our house. Well the cooking wine was a wee bit older than I expected. After I had already used the Marsala for the recipe I decided to look it over. I noticed a date on it that looked like 1991. I immediately decided to call my father-in-law. His first response was that he had purchased it only a few years ago. Could a few years ago be more than 25 years ago?! He didn't know.
I smelled and thoroughly inspected the marsala. It seemed ok. So I decided to continue cooking my meal. The marsala flavor in the dish was mild but I was fine.
What is your favorite quinoa recipe?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (I used the Simply Balanced microwavable pouches)
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 10-12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat
2. Add onion and saute about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent
3. Add mushrooms and salt, saute for about 4-5 minutes or until mushroom tender
4. Add Marsala wine and bring to medium-high heat to simmer about 3-5 minutes
5. Mix in parsley and quinoa
Powered by Recipage