A healthy casserole makeover on the traditional Chicken Parmesan recipe using vegetable noodles.
Without a doubt we have a new family favorite people!
Over the past year I made several dishes by substituting traditional pasta with zucchini spiralized in the shape of pasta (check out Garlic Beef Vegetable Pasta). A few devices are available to form elongated vegetables into spiral pasta shapes. I currently use a vegetable slicer purchased from Amazon, but want to try out the Veggetti in the near future. Using my vegetable slicer I am able to create "vegetable pasta" in minutes.
One of the benefits when substituting zucchini noodles for traditional pasta is the significant calorie reduction. To put it in perspective two ounces of uncooked pasta is nearly 200 calories, while a cup of zucchini is only 20 calories. Compared to pasta, zucchini also contains fewer carbohydrates (one cup of zucchini contains only 3.5 grams of carbohydrates) and more fiber.
I never know how the family will approve of a new recipe creation. Well this recipe certainly passed the test! In fact they had a hard time controlling their portion sizes, which can take away from the benefit of a healthier choice. The blend of several cheese, marinara sauce, seasonings, and bread crumbs are a delicious combination you can't go wrong with. Even the biggest pasta lovers will fall for this recipe.
My approach to cooking meals has changed drastically since the arrival of Baby Max. I have very little time during the evening hours to spend in the kitchen preparing food. To avoid ordering food out, on the weekends I prep a few meals that we can eat throughout the week. I created this particular meal as part of my weekly meal prep. My family of two was able to get 3-4 meals from the recipe. We kept wanting more!
Plus the recipe is super easy to prepare. Once the chicken is cooked (or you could use a rotisserie chicken) and the zucchini is sliced, all you have to do is mix the remaining ingredients, and throw it in the oven to bake for about 20-25 minutes. Viola!
Stay tuned for more spiralized recipes! I feel them coming!
Zucchini Noodle Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and cubed or shredded
- 3-4 medium zucchini (uncooked), spiralized
- 1 + 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese (can use low fat), shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- optional: 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (not Gluten Free)
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, spray 13" x 9" glass baking dish with non-stick spray
2. In a large bowl mix together chicken, zucchini, marina, Italian seasoning, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
3. Pour mixture in baking dish and spread evenly, sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top, layer bread crumbs on top, spray non-stick cooking spray over crumbs
4. Bake at 25 degrees Fahrenheit until cheese melted and vegetable tenderNutrition:
Serving size: 1/6 casserole• Servings: 6 • Calories: 338.9 kcal • Protein: 31.6 g • Carbs: 21.0 g • Fat: 13.7 g • Fiber: 4.3 g • Sugar: 0.3 g • Sodium: n/a mg
Powered by Recipage