If you follow any of my posts you know that I am obsessed with pizza. If I had my choice I would eat pizza for every meal. My family would agree that it is a rarity I say no to pizza. Despite my love for this cheesy scrumptious food I still try to eat it in moderation and find healthier preparation methods.
Recently I stumbled across a pre-prepared pesto sauce at Trader Joes. I have to admit I am always hesitant with pre-prepared sauces, but found this one to be satisfying. In fact my family and I have used the pesto sauce on sandwiches (paninis), pasta, and even ventured out to the pizza world.
I first introduced you to my favorite pre-prepared pizza crust from Trader Joe's a few months ago in the Margherita Pizza Post. The crust is super inexpensive, already prepared, and lower in calories. There is no need to ever go back to frozen pizzas if you have access to this pizza crust. Other than the crust all you need is your sauce and some cheese (I always prefer fresh mozzarella) and you are ready to create a delicious and fresh tasting pizza. Today I used the crust to create this Thin Crust Pesto Pizza! For some added protein I also added some pre-prepared chicken breast.
In other news the countdown to baby boy is on! We are at 32 weeks and counting down! I hope to spend as much time blogging and in the kitchen over the next few weeks in anticipation for limited time once little man arrives. I was honored to have a baby shower thrown for me in my hometown a few weeks ago and eagerly await another shower next week with my friends in Atlanta. I plan on writing a baby shower round-up post in the upcoming weeks!
Hope you all are ready for pumpkin season! Pumpkin recipes are coming soon! And no I don't have any plans for a pumpkin pizza, but you never know.....
Your family's dietitian,Kristen Smith
Thin Crust Pesto Pizza
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12-20 minutes
Ingredients (6 servings)
- Pre-made thin pizza crust (I used one from Trader Joes)
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto sauce (I used a version from Trader Joes)
- 6-8 - 1/2 inch fresh mozzarella slices, cut in half
- 2-3 ounces of pre-cooked chicken, cut into thin strips
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (if using a stone - put stone in oven at start of preheat)
2. Spread pesto sauce evenly over pizza (remember that sauce will expand when heated); evenly place mozzarella on top of sauce; place chicken in between mozzarella slices
3. Transfer pizza to oven (if using baking stone add cornmeal right before transfer).
4. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-18 minutes or until cheese is browned and dough is completely cooked through
Powered by Recipage