And the pumpkin recipes continue!
Last week turned out a bit differently than I planned. I am presenting a lecture at an upcoming society meeting (The Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo) at the end of October and of course procrastinated preparing my slides. Did I mention they are due in two days?! Needless to say I spent nearly all of my days last week frantically preparing my slides. The good news is that I am almost done with the Powerpoint presentation, which means I can get back to testing out so many of these pumpkin recipes I have been dreaming of.
"Third time is a charm" with this recipe. After three batches I finally came up with a product I was happy with. I had been dreaming of a chewy flat oatmeal cookie with pumpkin flavoring. While I was not able to create the exact flat cookie I wanted these cookies are pretty darn delicious. They are a chewy consistency with the perfect amount of pumpkin and pumpkin spice flavoring.
And of course they are lower in calories! You can enjoy one cookie for under 100 calories. Yep that is right - one cookie is 91 calories and about 3 grams of fat. Perfect for a sweet treat after dinner or an afternoon snack. The question is can you stop at one?!
On the baby front, we are trying to finish up any last minute preparations for him. We are still trying to figure out so many things! What will he wear his first few week of life? How do we swaddle him? What are the tips to breastfeeding? Awww..so much!
I think reality sunk in that we could have a baby arrive any day after we took a tour of the hospital's labor and maternity floor yesterday. Until the past few days delivering a baby seemed in the far future, well my friends its soon approaching. Until then I will keep on blogging..... (I hope).
Your family's dietitian,Kristen Smith
Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
Ingredients (48 cookies)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup light butter spread or butter, softened
- 1 cup enriched white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or white flour)
- 1 2/3 -2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 cups old fashion oats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Either spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray or place a silicone cookie mat on a cookie sheet.
2. In a medium bowl cream together the butters, add eggs and brown sugar, add vanilla and pumpkin
3. In a separate small bowl mix together flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice
4. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix together; stir in oatmeal
5. Drop about 1 tablespoon of dough onto cookie sheet (or use cookie scoop)
6. Bake for about 12-14 minute at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Serving size: 1 cookie • Servings: 48 • Calories: 91.7 kcal • Protein: 1.1 g • Carbs: 16.6 g • Fat: 3.7 g • Fiber: 0.8 g • Sugar: 10.4 g • Sodium: 33.7 mg
Powered by Recipage