Will I ever have time to blog as frequently as I once was able to?
Since pregnancy life as been different in many regards. When pregnancy first arrived I was so nauseous there was no consideration of spending time in the kitchen to create recipes or look at food pictures. Once that improved my "day job" picked up and has left me with very little personal time. The personal time I do have I try to spend getting prepared for the upcoming arrival of a baby. There is so much to do - read books to figure out what to do with a baby, prepare the nursery, figure out what products we need, and more! And with the baby coming who knows what time I will have to spend my on my beloved hobby and passion, the blog! Guess we will see....
About a month ago we took a five day trip down to Panama City, Florida to spend some time on the beach with our family. My husband's aunt brought along Roasted Corn Avocado Dip and I instantly feel in love. While we were there I decided to throw the "dip" on a salad. After one bite I knew it was my new "go to" lunch of choice! The dip already had my favorite ingredients - avocados and cucumbers.
If you want to add a little extra protein to the salad you could certainly include beans or chopped deli meat. I added a few slices of Apple Gate Farms turkey! So simple, yet so delicious!
Stay tuned for some future posts on what I have been up to for the months of July and August! I am working on a post about "following my sweet cravings through NYC"!
Your family's dietitian,Kristen Smith
Roasted Corn Spinach Salad
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- 4-5 cups frozen corn
- 2 Avocado’s, diced and sprinkled with lemon juice to prevent browning
- 1 Small red onion, finely diced
- ¾ C. Feta, crumbled
- 1 ½ C. English cucumber, skin on and chopped small dice
- Optional: 2 C. Tomatoes, red and yellow cherry variety or equivalent
- 4-5 T. Olive oil
- 2 T. Red Wine vinegar (or Sherry vinegar)
- 1 t. Garlic powder
- 2 T. Fresh cilantro, minced
- ½ t. Salt
- pepper to taste
- Spinach leaves as desired
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In a microwave safe container microwave corn for about 3-4 minuets with bout 1/4 cup water or until no longer frozen (could also boil on stove)
3. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the corn in a single layer on sheet and lightly spray corn with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about 5-7 minutes or until the corn starts to turn browned. Once corn is browned flip corn to other side and brown for another 4-5 minutes. You must watch corn closely as it may take longer or shorter to brown.
4. Let corn cool.
5. In a large bowl mix the salad ingredients. In a smaller bowl mix the dressing ingredients. Combine into one bowl.
6. Spoon corn mixture onto desired amount of spinach leaves. You should not need additional dressing. Corn mixture should last fore a few days in refrigerator.This recipe was modified from "Authentic Suburban Gourmet": http://authenticsuburbangourmet.blogspot.com/2011/05/avocado-and-grilled-corn-salad-with.html
Powered by Recipage