This past week we were on vacation in Panama City Florida. We enjoyed 5 beautiful days with my husbands parents and extended family. It was my first time to Panama City and was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful white beaches and lovely neighborhoods.
We stayed in an adorable neighborhood called Carillon beach. It was equipped with its own pools, beach front access, stores, restaurants, and parks. The houses in the neighborhood were absolutely beautiful! Our whole family shared a 4 bedroom house that was only a few minutes walk to the beach.
Overall we enjoyed good company, good food, and a relaxing few days away from reality!! I am ready to go back!
Ironically the idea for today's recipe post stemmed from the trip! My husbands aunt brought along a store prepared version of puppy chow, a snack I always enjoyed growing up and had not made in years. I had to have major self control not to eat the entire small package she offered (and of course wanted to share the delicious snack with others). After a few bites I knew I needed to recreate this recipe with a few healthier modifications.
The original recipe is made with Chex cereal (or Crispix), peanut butter, semi sweet chocolate chips, butter, and confectioners sugar. To lower the calories and fat content a bit I decided to substitute the full fat peanut butter with peanut butter I made from peanut butter powder (PB2). In addition I decreased the butter content. I actually also used a buttery spread instead of buttery, but to keep the cereal super crispy I would recommend to stick with butter. Lastly I substituted a portion of the semi-sweet chocolate with dark chocolate. The outcome did not disappoint - a delicious sugar sweetened treat you will can not say no to!
Your family's dietitian,Kristen Smith
Healthier Puppy Chow
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: dessert chocolate
Ingredients (12 servings (3/4 cup each))
- 3 oz dark chocolate (with at least 60% cacoa), cut into pieces size of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 8 1/2 cups plain Chex or Crispix cereal
- 3 tablespoons butter or buttery spread (ie. Smart Balance)
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter made from powdered peanut butter such as PB2 (about 10 tablespoons powder mixed with 5 tablespoons water) OR 1/2 cup Natural Peanut Butter
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1. Pour cereal into a large bowl
2. In a small glass bowl add both types of chocolate, peanut butter, and butter (or butter spread); microwave on high for 60 seconds (stir around 30 seconds); if not completely melted microwave an additional 10-15 seconds; mix well
3. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir well until cereal well coated
4. In a large ziploc bag add cereal and confectioners sugar; shake well until all cereal pieces coatedNutrition:
Serving size: 3/4 cup • Servings: 12 • Calories: 247.9 kcal • Protein: 3.8 g • Carbs: 43.5 g • Fat: 7.5 g • Fiber: 2.0 g • Sugar: 25.2 g • Sodium: 234.2 mg
Powered by Recipage