A friend first introduced me to the concept of adding honey to turkey burgers a year ago. The honey adds a delicious sweetened flavor while providing extra moisture. I have been wanting to work on a turkey burger recipe creation ever since!!
I finally got the opportunity to work on a turkey burger recipe last week, on Memorial Day. We had some friends in town from NYC and they wanted to have a traditional cookout. The menu included some traditional all American fare such as corn on the cob, roasted potatoes (recipe coming soon), grilled vegetables, and of course burgers (both beef and turkey).
The final recipe was Honey Worcestershire Turkey Burgers. In addition to honey, I added worcestershire sauce and dried parsley (fresh parsley would work better) to the ground turkey. The worcestershire sauce adds a savory, sweet, and tangy flavor to meat.
I always get the question if ground turkey is really healthier than ground beef. The answer to that question really depends. To get a leaner ground turkey with less saturated fat you must choose the breast (white) ground turkey meat instead of dark meat. Typically you want to make a choice that says "93% or 95% lean". With that being said you could also choose a lean ground beef with a comparable fat content.
Lastly to save some calories and carbohydrates I sandwiched the burger between two slices of 100% whole wheat sandwich thins. I didn't want to totally skip the carbohydrates, but chose something with a smaller bread content.
Your family's dietitian,
Honey Worcestershire Turkey Burger
Ingredients (4 burgers)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (at least 93% lean)
- 3-4 tablespoons honey
- 2-3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
1. Turned heat on for desired form of grill (outdoor vs. indoor electronically heated)
2. In a large using hands mash together all ingredients; form into 4 hamburger patties (make sure they are tightly packed) and place on plate
3. Place burgers on grill for about 10-15 minutes (flip as necessary) or until completely cooked through; if using outdoor grill may consider spraying grill with a non-stick cooking spray to prevent stickingNutrition:
Serving size: 1 burger • Servings: 4 • Calories: 212.9 kcal • Protein: 22.0 g • Carbs: 14.2 g • Fat: 8.0 g • Fiber: 0.0 g • Sugar: 13.9 g • Sodium: n/a
Powered by Recipage