Sometimes you just need comfort food.
Comfort food doesn't always have to be unhealthy and loaded with calories.
Todays recipe for Baked Chicken Fingers is a perfect example of how to enjoy comfort food without the calories. The hidden secret is baking instead of frying and using a lower calorie buttery spread.
This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients: chicken tenderloins, bread crumbs, light buttery spread, and water. Few ingredients = easy preparation. In a matter of minutes the chicken fingers can be assembled and ready for the oven.
What to pair with this recipe?
Well of course another comfort food that has undergone a healthy makeover like Chicken Broth Mashed Potatoes or Skinny Cauliflower Mac and Cheese. And don't forget a veggie! My personal favorite vegetable recipe is Balsamic Broiled Brussel Sprouts.
For a well balanced meal aim for the chicken fingers to take up about 1/4 of your plate, the starch to be 1/4 of the plate, and lastly fill 1/2 of the plate with veggies.
What is your favorite comfort food?
Your family's dietitian,
Easy Baked Chicken Fingers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Keywords: entree chicken
Ingredients (4 servings (~2 strips per serv)
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins (can also buy breast and cut into tenderloins)
- 3/4 - 1 cup italian bread crumbs
- 3-4 tablespoons light buttery spread (ie. Smart Balance light)
- 1 cup water
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit; spray a 9 x 13 inch glass pan with non-stick cooking spray
2. Add about 3 tablespoons of butter to glass pan and heat in oven for about 3-5 minutes or until completely melted
3. Spread breadcrumbs on a plate or on wax paper; pour water into small bowl; dip chicken tenderloin in water and then place into bread crumbs; pat both sides of chicken into bread crumbs until well covered; place in pan (optional: sprinkle with salt and pepper)
4. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes; remove from oven and flip onto other side with a fork or spatula; cook another 10 minutesNutrition:
Serving size: 2 tenderloins Servings: 4 • Calories: 242.3 kcal • Protein: 27.7 g • Carbs: 10.0 g • Fat: 8.8 g • Fiber: 0.5 g • Sugar: 1.0 g • Sodium: n/a
Powered by Recipage