I have been thinking about recreating a slightly healthier version of this menu item for months. I finally came upon the decision to ditch the skillet and just create a bowl type dish with similar ingredients. To lesson the amount of carbs I reduced the amount of hash browns. For a lower fat dish I substituted some of the whole eggs with egg whites (not to worry I kept one whole egg). To add some flavor I sauteed some onions and bell peppers before scrambling the eggs. You could also add spinach or tomatoes during this process.
The outcome was a delicious complete breakfast bowl the hubby loved. The variety of ingredients provide a range of flavors that compliment each other. I love the avocado addition - it adds a nice creamy texture and consistency to the dish. The breakfast offers ingredients from all the food groups - protein, starch, vegetable, fruit, and dairy. No need to prepare anything else!
We are enjoying an absolutely beautiful weekend here in the ATL. Both Saturday and Sunday the temperature highs have been in the upper 70's with little humidity. We have tried to spend as much time outdoors as possible - in fact I am writing this blog post outside. It looks like the weather has been nice on the whole east coast. Its about time! This winter was so brutal for many.
Here is a picture of the different stages to build the breakfast bowl.
Your family's dietitian,
Egg and Hash Brown Breakfast Bowl
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: breakfast avocado egg
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1 cup uncooked frozen hash browns
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 teaspoons onion (either green or white), chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon extra virgen olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- non stick cooking spray
- optional: spinach, tomato, etc
1. In a small skillet heat olive oil on medium heat
2. Add hash browns, salt, and pepper and cook for about 5-7 minutes until browned on one side; once browned flip for another 3-4 minutes or until other side browned
3. While hash browns are cooking spray another small/medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat to medium heat; add peppers and onions and saute for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned (if using green onions dont add yet); add eggs (salt and pepper) and cook medium/low heat stirring frequently to produce scrambled eggs
4. Spoon hash browns into small bowl; top with avocado; top with egg mixture; top with shredded cheeseNutrition
Serving size: 1 • Servings: 1 • Calories: 333.0 kcal • Protein: 16.9 g • Carbs: 29.1 g • Fat: 17.3 g • Fiber: 6.7 g • Sugar: 2.3 g • Sodium: n/a (varies)
Powered by Recipage