Before I talk about this delicious recipe, I must disclose this is not an original creation by me. I want to give a shout out to The Girl Who Ate Everything for posting French Toast Roll-Ups. I saw this recipe one day while surfing Pinterest and wanted to see if I could make it "healthier". In fact I have an entire Pinterest section dedicated to "recipes to make healthier". I love proving to people that healthy food can taste good!
This delicious recipe is perfect for all occasions, whether it be a typical weekend day with the family or a brunch party with the friends. My first attempt at making the recipe took a bit longer because I was unfamiliar with the steps, but once you get the hang of the steps you will have french toast sticks in less than 15 minutes. I chose to stick with a traditional Greek yogurt and strawberry filling. The options for the filling are limitless - you could substitute the fruit, try Nutella or Peanut Butter, or add nuts or chocolate chips. You could also skip the cinnamon sugar on the outside and use traditional syrup. I tried both ways and preferred the cinnamon sugar, but see what your family prefers!
One tip I would offers is to make sure to dip the ends of the rolls in the egg mixture. I focused on all the sides and the ends tended to be a bit dry.
I mentioned I made some recipe substitutions to the original recipe to achieve a healthier outcome. Here are some of the substitutions I made:
- 45 calorie whole wheat bread for typical white bread
- Low fat Greek yogurt for cream cheese
- Reduced the sugar content of the cinnamon sugar mixture
- Low fat milk for whole milk
And a lower calorie breakfast option was achieved!
Unfortunately it has been a crazy past few weeks with my family due to illness and long work schedules. Crazy means less time spent in the kitchen coming up with new recipes. I am hoping will get to spend some time today on the ideas I have been brainstorming on! I am very excited about all of them!
On another note I completed an interview for a local newspaper on the topic of the new proposed food label. Check it out the complete article here.
What do you think about the new proposed food labels?!
Your family's dietitian,
Skinny French Toast Roll-Ups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: breakfast yogurt fruit
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 8 slices lower calorie (45 calories) whole wheat bread
- Low fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- diced strawberries
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (or a sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- non-stick cooking spray
1. With a knife cut the crust from each slice of bread and flatten it out with a rolling pin.
2. In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl mix the sugar with the cinnamon.
4. At approximately 1/2 inch from one end of the bread spoon 2 teaspoons Greek yogurt in a line and top with strawberries; roll the bread up tightly and repeat with the remaining pieces of bread
5. Spray medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat to medium
6. Dip each bread roll in the egg mixture coating well and then place them in the pan seam side down; cook about 1-2 minutes and then flip to other sides (I ended up flipping about 4 times and cooked the roll-ups in two batches)
7. Once cooked add roll-ups immediately to the cinnamon sugar and roll until completely covered in sugar.
*You can also skip the cinnamon sugar and dip in syrup if you preferNutrition:
Serving size: 1 roll-up • Servings: 8 • Calories: 99.3 kcal • Protein: 5.3 g • Carbs: 18.1 g • Fat: 1.8 g • Fiber: 3.3 g • Sugar: 10.7 g • Sodium: 117.3 mg
Powered by Recipage