Unfortunately I have been absent from the blogosphere world this week due to a crazy work schedule and sickness. Thus this blog post was meant to be posted days ago!
But with further adieu here is my Shamrock Avocado Toast recipe - a perfect snack, appetizer, or treat to get into the St. Patty's Day spirit. All you need is a few minutes and some simple ingredients (basically bread, avocado, and seasonings) to create this fun holiday themed treat.
To reduce the calories in this recipe I chose a lower calorie whole grain bread such as Pepperidge Farms or Sara Lee. While shopping on the bread aisle of the grocery store I was surprised to see how many lower calorie whole grain breads were available. Because many of my clients are satisfied with the Sara Lee variety I went straight for that, but I am curious to try the other options.
During my time of sickness I had ample time to watch television. As a blogger you know you are sick when you dont have enough energy to get on your computer and read your favorite blogger counterparts. Through this forced television watching time I have become addicted to reruns of Law and Order SVU. Fortunately the show has been on the air for more than 2 decades and has 4 spin-offs, so there are more than enough episodes to keep my busy.
How did it take so long for me to get addicted to this show?! About 7 years ago, while living in New York City, I saw an episode with Chris Noth (aka "Mr. Big") being filmed. This was before my days of owning a phone with a good camera and being active on social media or I would certainly have documentation of this. Typically if I see something being filmed, whether television or movie, I am drawn to watch it. Who knows.....
Your family's dietitian,
Shamrock Avocado Toast
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1-2 minutes
Keywords: appetizer snack avocado
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1 medium avocado, ripe
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder or chopped onion (chopped onion will need larger amount)
- 8 slices low calorie whole wheat bread
- shamrock shaped cookie cutter
1. Place bread on a cutting board, push shamrock cookie cutter through bread and remove excess bread (repeat for all slices)
2. Toast bread on medium or until lightly browned
3. Split avocado in half and remove seed, spoon out avocado in a small bowl, using the back of a fork mash avocado together until a creamy consistency, add remaining ingredients and mix well
4. Spread about 1-2 teaspoons of avocado mixture on toastNutrition:
Serving size: 1 slice bread • Servings: 8 • Calories: 86.4 kcal • Protein: 3.5 g • Carbs: 11.6 g • Fat: 4.0 g • Fiber: 4.0 g • Sugar: 1.0 g • Sodium: 114.3 mg
Powered by Recipage