I brought these brownies to a football watch party a few weeks ago and everyone ate them up. Most of our friends admitted they couldn't tell I made any healthier recipe substitutions. Success! I love proving to family and friends that healthier baked goods can still taste delicious.
For this recipe I used my typical recipe substitutions - applesauce, healthier buttery spread (ie. Smart Balance), egg whites, Greek yogurt, and reduced sugar amount. It may sound like a lot of substitutions, but I still used butter, cream cheese, and sugar (just in lesser amounts). Generally you can reduce the sugar in recipes by about 20% without losing the overall sweet flavor. Sugar substitutes are another possible substitution (for sugar) to reduce the calories, but I do not personally like the flavor they produce.
This recipe can also be made without the red food coloring. I typically try to avoid food colorings due to the artificial coloring. Natural red food coloring is difficult to create, however I hope to do some experimenting in the kitchen soon.
On another note I decided to restart Jillian Michaels, 30 Day Shred workout video. The cold wintery weather has made it difficult to run or walk outside, which is something I typically enjoy doing. Today I completed day 2. Only 28 more days to go! The workout is only 20 minutes, therefore I typically add a bit more cardio through walking or jumping jacks at the conclusion of the workout. I have done this workout video numerous times before, however I have never completed the complete 30 days. Wish me luck!
What is your favorite exercise activity?
Your family's dietitian,
Skinny Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: dessert chocolate yogurt
Ingredients (16 brownies)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons Smart Balance buttery spread (or butter), melted
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 - 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon red food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 oz package cream cheese (1/3 the fat), softened
- 1/2 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons + 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9" x 9" inch pan (I used glass) with non-stick cooking spray
2. Whisk together butters, applesauce, eggs, sugar. Add vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, flour, food coloring.
3. In separate bowl using a mixer (can be stand or handheld), mix together yogurt, cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla.
4. Pour 4/5 of brownie batter into baking pan. Spread cheesecake layer on top and spread evenly. Dollop remaining 1/5 of brownie batter onto cheesecake layer (this does not need to be evenly spread and you want to leave some of the cheesecake layer visible)
5. Using a sharp knife or toothpick, swirl the cream cheese together with the dollops of brownie batter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until brownie cooked through.Nutrition
Serving size: 1/16 brownies • Servings: 16 • Calories: 133.9 kcal • Protein: 3.4 g • Carbs: 17.7 g • Fat: 6.0 g • Fiber: 1.0 g • Sugar: 0.6 g • Sodium: 71.7 mg
Powered by Recipage