The 2014 Super Bowl is only a few weeks away! While the primary purpose of the Super Bowl is to gather around with friends and watch an action packed football game with creative commercials, huge emphasis is also put on the food served during the game. Typical Super Bowl food offerings include chips and dip, pizza, wings, and sliders. Super Bowl Sunday is among one of the highest calorie intake days nationwide.
What about serving some healthier snack options at your upcoming Super Bowl party?! We created a healthier "queso" dip your friends are sure to love. For this dip we included Greek yogurt to reduce the cheese without losing the creamy flavor. The dairy ingredients are combined with salsa and sautéed onions to create a delicious dip.
Don't break the calorie bank with higher calorie dippers. Avoid foods that are fried or made with high fat content. To keep your calorie intake lower try dipping carrots, celery, and pretzels into the queso.
For another healthier dip made with Greek yogurt check out our recipe for Guiltless Seven Layer Dip.
Your family's dietitian,
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: appetizer yogurt
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 tablespoon light buttery spread (ie. Smart Balance Light)
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3/4 cup mild low fat cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1-2 tablespoons plain low fat Greek yogurt
- optional: carrot sticks, celery sticks, pretzel, etc
1. Melt buttery spread in saucepan over medium heat
2. Add onions and saute until translucent (about 3-5 minutes)
3. Add cheese and stir until melted; add salsa and Greek yogurt, cook for additional 1-2 minutes or until well blendedNutrition
Serving size: 1/4 cup • Servings: 4 • Calories: 32.0 kcal • Protein: 0.9 g • Carbs: 4.3 g • Fat: 1.4 g • Fiber: 1.1 g • Sugar: 0.0 g • Sodium: 302.7 mg
Powered by Recipage