Holiday baking is still in full swing in my household. This year I am working on a few new healthier cookie recipes. The first new creation, Low Fat Chocolate Pretzel Cookies, was a bit hit with my family.
Today's recipe is another chocolate cookie recipe. After a few substitutions to the Healthier Cut Out Sugar Cookies recipe "Low Fat Chocolate Sugar Cookies" were born. This recipe is perfect for you to use your favorite cookie cutters and cut-out fun holiday shapes.
These cookies are topped with a raspberry jam icing. Any jam flavor would work with the cookies. What doesn't go with chocolate? For a icing that hardens completely use a fruit flavored extract instead of a jam. The icing will not completely harden (gets harder) with the jam.
We still have one more holiday cookie recipe to post before the big day (which is in only 8 days!). What type of cookie recipe do you think it is?
Your family's dietitian,
Low Fat Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Prep Time: 30-45 minutes
Cook Time: 7-9 minutes
Ingredients (36-48 cookies)
- 2 1/4 cups enriched white flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light butter spread (ie Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread), softened (or butter)
- 1/3 unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons low fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Additional flour for rolling out cookies
- 2/3 - 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons Smart Balance Light buttery spread (or butter)
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar-free jam (raspberry used in picture)
- optional: 1 tablespoon hot water
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Combine butter, light butter, applesauce, sugar, egg, milk, chocolates, and vanilla in a large bowl; beat on medium speed until creamy
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually add to butter mixture and beat on low speed
4. Using rolling pin roll out dough on a floured surface and use cookie cutters of choice to cut out cookies; place cookies on cookie sheet.