Christmas is literally just around the corner which means baking season will soon be in full swing! Baking is a family tradition I have continued since I can remember - a family tradition I hope to continue for years to come.
Each year I typically bake a few traditional recipes (Healthier Cut Out Sugar Cookies are always part of the rotation) AND I experiment with a few new recipes. Most of the experimentation is centered around trying to create healthier cookie recipes. Today's recipe was part of this years experimentation, but I am certain will become part of the annual rotation.
Meet my delicious new HEALTHY holiday cookie - a chewy chocolate sweet cookie filled with salty pretzels. A perfect combination to satisfy a craving for both sweet and salty. Not only is this cookie delicious, but also nearly fat-free and flour-free (with the exception of the pretzel). For approximately 100 calories and 0.5 grams of fat you can enjoy one of these cookies.
These cookies could certainly be enjoyed with other add-ins such as nuts, oatmeal, or dried fruits. I look forward to trying different varieties in the future!
What are you favorite holiday cookie recipes?!
Your family's dietitian,
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 14-16 minutes
Ingredients (12 cookies)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, unsifted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pretzels, crushed (leave some larger pieces)
- 12 small pretzels
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; place a silpat non-stick baking mat on baking sheet or spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray
2. Mix together sugar and cocoa powder; using a whisk or hand mixer gradually add in egg whites, vanilla, salt; stir in crushed pretzel pieces
4. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of dough onto baking sheet (or use cookie scoop); press one whole pretzel onto top of dough
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 14-16 minutes (should appear cracked and cooked on top but may be a bit gooey inside)Nutrition:
Servings: 12 • Serving size: 1 cookie • Calories: 106.9 kcal • Protein: 1.9 g • Sodium: 290.2 mg • Carbs: 25.8 g • Fat: 0.5 g • Fiber: 1.4 • Sugars: 19.9 g
Powered by Recipage