Growing up my mother always made some type of cheesy potato casserole (or scallop potato) for the holidays. Each holiday season I looked forward to the dish because it was something not frequently served the remainder of the year. As an adult I have made some similar recipes, but always feel guilty as I prepare the butter and cheese filled side dish.
I have tried Greek yogurt in numerous recipes to create a healthier outcome (such as Guiltless Seven Layer Dip and Skinny Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Cups). Recently I decided to give Greek yogurt a try in a potato casserole recipe. I was blown away by the delicious outcome! The substitution allowed me to significantly reduce the cheese and butter content - while still creating a delicious creamy flavor. In face my family had no idea I included Greek yogurt in the recipe!
Try a healthier potato recipe this holiday season! You might become addicted......
Your family's dietitian,Kristen Smith
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Keywords: side yogurt
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 5 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4-1/8 inch slices
- 1 cup non fat plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons light butter spread (ie. Smart Balance), melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees Fahrenheit; spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
2. In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients (except 1/4 cup of cheese) and stir well; spread in baking dish; top with remaining cheese
3. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30-40 minutes or until potatoes softNutrition
Servings: 8 • Serving size: 1/8 (~3/4 cup) • Calories: 197.0 kcal • Protein: 9.6 g • Sodium: 487.4 mg • Carbs: 24.2 g • Fat: 7.2 g • Fiber: 2.5 • Sugars: 2.3 g
Powered by Recipage