Creating healthy non-traditional breakfast recipes is one of my favorite projects for the blog. I recently received a sample case of Yoplait's new Greek Yogurt blend. While I enjoyed many of the yogurt samples solo as part of my breakfasts, I brainstormed on a creative recipe to use the product. What I came up with was a recreation of a previous recipe, Whole Grain Breakfast Cookie Cups, and of course included my favorite food item - Pizza!!
This delicious lower calorie recipe (only 200 calories per serving) serves 8 and is perfect for your next family or friend breakfast or brunch event. Particularly I love this recipe to excite children about eating fruits, yogurt, and whole grains. What child does not love something with a pizza theme?!
For the sake of time you might consider baking the cookie portion the night before and then spreading the Greek yogurt and fresh fruit few minutes before serving the food. I topped this pizza with a drizzle of honey for a hint of added sweetness. While I chose bananas and strawberries any of your favorite fruits would work.
Here in the ATL we have enjoyed ample amount of rain showers this summer season. While the additional amount of waters has been great - the lack of sunlight has made it difficult to take excellent pictures for the blog. For all of my photos I rely on natural sunlight to produce a beautiful pictures. Regardless of the light in this picture the recipe turned out delicious.
Your family's dietitian,
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
Keywords: breakfast yogurt
Ingredients (8 servings)
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ - 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon light buttery spread (ie. Smart Balance light)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 oz vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- Optional: honey to drizzle on top
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit; spray a round pizza pan or jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray
2. In a large bowl mix together (using hand mixer or mixer) both butters, applesauce, egg whites, sugars, and vanilla
3. In a separate smaller bowel mix together flour, salt, and baking soda; slowly mix in flour mixture to large bowl
4. Form the dough into a ball and flatten to desired thickness in the shape of a pizza
5. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 14-16 minutes or until brown (cooking time depends on desired consistency)
6. Let cool and spread Greek yogurt over top; add bananas and strawberries; if desired drizzle with honey.
7. Refrigerate leftovers.Nutrition:
Serving size: 1/8 pizza • Servings: 8 • Calories: 200.8 kcal • Protein: 6.7 g • Sodium: 1326.9 mg • Carbs: 40.6 g • Fat: 2.7 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Sugars: 23.4 g
Powered by Recipage