One of the fondest memories with my grandparents is eating BlueBell coffee ice cream during visits to their house. Regardless the time of year their freezer was always stocked with this ice cream flavor. I did not particularly love coffee at the time, but the creamy sweetened coffee flavor always left me wanting more. To this day anytime I see coffee ice cream I instantly think of my grandparents.
Homemade popsicle recipes continue to appear on blogs at a increasing rate. Some of the recipes have a juice base with fruit inside, while others are cream based with yogurt or milk. In many instances Greek yogurt is used as the base for the creamy popsicle. Taking into account my love for coffee ice cream I wanted to create a delicious popsicle with healthier ingredients.
To stick with a healthier base I choose vanilla flavored Greek yogurt. I understand not all folks are crazy about the slight sour taste Greek yogurt can offer. If that is someone in your family you might want to choose a low fat vanilla yogurt instead. For the sweetener I chose granulated sugar, but tried to add a minimal amount to avoid excessive calories. You could certainly add liquid stevia drops or another sweetener of choice if you prefer. To add to the coffee flavor dark chocolate chunks were layered throughout the popsicle mold. Another option would be mixing the chips throughout the yogurt mixture prior to freezing.
These popsicles are a perfect lower calorie treat for your family to enjoy!
Your family's dietitian,
Skinny Coffee Yogurt Popsicles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Keywords: dessert yogurt
Ingredients (5 popsicles)
- 1 ½ cup low fat vanilla Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fat free or low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 5 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
1. Mix yogurt, sugar, milk, and coffee granules together
2. Place a few of the chocolate chips at bottom of the popsicle mold
3. Pour the yogurt mixture in each of the popsicle molds to fill about half way; sprinkle with more chocolate chips; fill the popsicle molds with the remainder of the yogurt mixture; top with remainder of chocolate chips
4. Push popsicle sticks about 2/3 of the way into the yogurt mixture
5. Freeze for at least 4 hours
6. When ready to serve place in shallow dish of warm water to loosen popsicles from moldNutrition:
Serving size: 1 popsicle • Servings: 5 • Calories: 148.4 kcal • Protein: 6.6 g • Sodium: 35.9mg • Carbs: 22.2 g • Fat: 4.5 g • Fiber: 1.0 g • Sugars: 19.8 g
Powered by Recipage