Do you often run out of breakfast ideas that are healthy and delicious? The solution is at your fingertips....try this "Mini Whole Grain Egg Pizza"!
This pizza is made with an English muffin, one whole egg, low fat cheese, pizza sauce, and fresh basil. Did I mention how simple the recipe is to make? In a matter of minutes you can have the pizza prepped for the oven. A few minutes (well 12-14 minutes to be exact) later your pizza will be ready! One of the best features of this recipe is that it is a single serving so you are not tempted by the multiple portions sizes provided by a large pizza.
"Over Easy Eggs" on pizza is not a new concept. If you google "eggs on pizza" you will find recipes dating back several years. In many of my recent dining experiences (specifically brunch) these types of pizzas have been offered on the menu. The runny egg provides a flavor and moisture most pizza ingredients can not! If you are hesitant to have runny egg on your pizza simply cook the pizza few extra minutes for a less runny result.
The only daunting task of this recipe is getting the egg to stay on the English muffin. To make my life easier I decided to line the outer edge of the English muffin with foil. It did the trick - and kept the egg on the English muffin. My first attempt at this recipe, without the foil, was a complete disaster. The egg ended up running completely off of the English muffin and onto the baking tray. I also found it easier to spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray so the egg would not stick.
Your family's dietitian,
Mini Whole Grain Egg Pizza
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12-14 minutes
Ingredients (one pizza)
- ½ whole grain English muffin
- 1/8 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1 leaf basil, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium egg
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Spread pizza sauce on English muffin, sprinkle cheese, top with basil
3. Crack onto top of pizza; carefully transport pizza to oven
4. Cook at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 12-14 minutes or until white part of egg cooked throughNutrition:
• Servings: 1 • Serving size: one pizza • Calories: 213.8 kcal • Protein: 15.6 g • Sodium: 390.7 • Carbs: 16.1 g • Fat: 9.8 g • Fiber: 2.5 • Sugars: 2.8 g
Powered by Recipage