Happy National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!!
One of our family's absolute favorite chocolate chip cookie treats is the Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich. Here comes the phrase that typically follows...Unfortunately this sweat treat has nearly 500 calories. For many people this amount of calories exceeds the total recommended calories for an entire meal. Our family tries to choose healthier versions of this sweet treat to avoid the excessive calorie intake.
For this recipe creation I used our Skinny Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and paired it with Stonyfield nonfat Greek frozen yogurt to create a lower calorie and fat Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich. In fact our creation has only 180 calories per sandwich. While the recipe creates a lower calorie chocolate chip cookie sandwich, it's essential not to choose a high fat ice cream product for the center filling. Specifically Stonyfield's product is a great choice as it offers substantial protein, fewer calories, and no fat. Many other ice cream and yogurt varieties provide twice the calories and lack the nutritional benefits of Stonyfield's product.
For a quicker cookie result I experimented with the waffle iron. In only 3-5 minutes a cooked (thinner) cookie was available perfect for the ice cream sandwich. Also ideal if you only want to cook a few cookies at a time.
What is your family's favorite way to eat a chocolate chip cookie?
Your family's dietitian,
Skinny Waffle Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Prep Time: 20 - 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Ingredients (24 Sandwiches)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (for a sweeter cookie go with one cup)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (for a sweeter cookie go with one cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light buttery spread, softened (ie. Smart Balance light)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini (or standard) chocolate chips
- 6 cups low fat vanilla ice cream (I used Stonyfield Non-fat Greek Frozen Yogurt)
1. In a large bowl mix together (using hand mixer) both butters, applesauce, egg whites, both sugars, and vanilla extract
2. In a separate smaller bowel mix together flour, salt, and baking soda; slower mix in flour mixture to large bowl; stir in chocolate chips
3. Heat waffle iron on medium heat
4. Drop rounded cookie dough with a spoon or small cookie scooper (~1/2 tablespoon) onto waffle iron. I was able to cook about 2-4 at a time.
5. Bake for about 3-4 minutes or until browned, remove and let cool completely
6. Remove ice cream from freezer and let soften; once soften measure out ¼ cup ice cream in measuring cup and place between two waffle cookies. Try to maintain shape of ice cream from measuring cup. I used a knife to guide out ice cream and maintain shaped.
7. Freeze for about 2-4 hours and serveNutrition:
Serving size: 1 sandwich • Servings: 24 • Calories: 182.7 kcal • Protein: 4.9 g • Sodium: 124.8 mg • Carbs: 36.3 g • Fat: 3.6 g • Fiber: 0.6 g • Sugars: 23.7 g
Powered by Recipage