My absolute favorite pumpkin dessert recipe is Paula Dean's Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cake. I was first introduced to this recipe a few years back by another registered dietitian and have made it for my family several times. Ironic right that dietitians are sharing Paula Dean recipes?! I guess it just proves that everyone can splurge every once in a while, including dietitians.
As expected Paula's recipe is loaded with butter and fat. As a matter of fact one serving of her cake has approximately 480 calories, 26 grams of fat, and 40 grams of sugar. And who stops at one serving! Whoa! This cake needs to be one infrequent splurge. Oh Paula thanks but no thanks for the recipe!
Well there is good news! I have created a healthier Gooey Pumpkin Cake for your family! By making a few healthy substitutions I was able to reduce the calories by 65%. Sounds great right?! Luckily those substitutions did not compromise the flavor. The cake still has a delicious creamy sweet pumpkin flavor. I could hardly stop at one piece!
The bottom "cake" layer is composed of graham cracker crumbs, an egg white, and Smart Balance. Paula's recipe called for an entire cake mix. Just with the bottom layer, Paula's, recipe has already provided ample calories.
The bottom "cake" layer is baked briefly.
Then its time to make the "gooey" layer. I substituted Greek yogurt for most of the cream cheese, reduced the butter dramatically, and replaced the butter with Smart Balance light spread.
And then it is cooked again! Pumpkin goodness has never tasted so good!!
Sick and tired of the traditional pumpkin pie recipe? This recipe puts a new spin on a pumpkin pie dessert in a healthy way! A must try for the upcoming holiday season.
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon Smart Balance Light, melted
1 egg white
4 ounces non fat plain Greek yogurt
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon Smart Balance Light, melted
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; spray a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray
2. Place bottom layer ingredients in a large bowl and mix well; spread mixture into back dish evenly; using the back of a spoon pressure mix into pan
3. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes
4. Beat the Smart Balance and cream cheese together until smooth; add the remaining “ “filling ingredient” and beat well; spread over graham cracker mixture
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes (you want the center to be a little gooey, so do not over bake)
Serving size: 1/9 cake • Servings:9 • Calories: 170.9 kcal • Protein: 4.4 g • Sodium: 129.9 g • Carbs: 29.3 g • Fat: 4.0 g • Fiber: 0.6 g • Sugar: 23.0