Fall time means apple season. One of my personal favorite activities in the fall is apple picking. An annual tradition for my husband and I is to make a trip to the local apple orchard and spend an afternoon picking as many apples as possible. We always end up picking an excess amount of apples and unsure what to do with them all.
Apple pie is frequently the solution for our ample amount of apples, but I am always looking for a quick and simple recipe to use the apples. I have come up with a new option - apple quesadillas!
These quesadillas are far different than the standard quesadilla - the main difference is they lack cheese. Instead they are filled with apple slices, cinnamon, and sugar. These quesadillas are a delicious snack or treat the whole family can prepare. The best news yet - one quesadilla is only 140 calories! I paired the quesadillas with my Caramel Spice Fruit Dip.
1 low carb tortilla, cut in half
½ teaspoon Smart Balance light
6-8 apple slices, cut extremely thin
1 ½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Heat electronically heated grill/panini press or stove to medium heat
2. Mix sugar and cinnamon
3. Spread ½ of Smart Balance on one side of tortilla; place on grill with butter side up
4. Sprinkle about ½ of sugar-cinnamon mixture on tortilla; place apple slices on tortilla (do not make more than 2 layers)
5. Spread remainder of Smart Balance on other tortilla half; sprinkle sugar-cinnamon on butter side and place face down on apples
6. Shut grill and cook for about 5-7 minutes; cook until tortilla browned and crunch (it is ok if a bit of Smart Balance runs out)
Serving size: 1 tortilla • Servings: 1• Calories: 144.9 kcal • Protein: 8.2 g • Sodium: 315.0 g • Carbs: 33.1 g • Fat: 4.0 g • Fiber: 14.5 g • Sugar: 11.9 g