Pot pie is a hearty dish served in many American households. Commonly the dish is served in a pie shape with a flaky crust. The filling of the dish is usually either chicken or turkey mixed with vegetables in a cream sauce. The description of a "cream sauce" should have been the first signal that this traditional dish is loaded with calories and fat. In fact the average calorie content of a single-serve pot pie ranges from 500-1000 calories. In some polls they have been ranked as one of the top unhealthy foods.
Chicken pot pies are a comfort food to most people, including myself. I challenged myself to create a healthier version of the chicken pot pie. Now my pot pie is not "fat free", but when compared to other pre-prepared pot pies it does have a significant calorie reduction. These are perfect as a meal or can be be served as appetizers at your next party.
It all starts with the cream sauce for the filling. I used Light Smart Balance spread and low fat milk to reduce the calories and fat.
I reduced the crust amount to reduce the calories. Single serving sizes were made for better portion control and flexibility of the recipe.
The final product!
2 tablespoons Light Smart Balance spread
1/6 cup flour
½ cup non-fat milk
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
½ cup shredded carrots or diced carrots
½ cup frozen corn
9 ounces shredded chicken
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried)
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 container pizza crust
optional: 1 small baking potato (cut in 1/2 inch dice and peeled) and salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 fahrenheit
2. In a medium skillet melt butter; whisk in flour to make a roux; add milk (continue to whisk)
3. Bring to boil and reduce heat until mixture thickens
4. Add chicken broth; bring back to boil and reduce heat until mixture re-thickens
5. Add frozen vegetables; cook for 5 minutes
6. While that is cooking spread out dough and divide into 12 squares; place dough in each muffin tin
7. While skillet still over heat add remaining veggies and chicken to mixture; muffin tins with mixture
8. Bake at 425 fahrenheit for about 11-13 minutes or until crust browned
Serving size: 1 cupcake • Servings: 12 • Calories: 121.6 kcal • Protein: 7.1 g • Sodium: 294.1 mg • Carbs: 16.8 g • Fat: 3.2 g • Fiber: 1.4 g • Sugar: 2.4 g