Zucchini skins are perfect to serve those non-veggie lovers as part of a meal or even to your friends during a get-together at your house. The preparation is quite simple and should take approximately 45 minutes. Did I mention zucchini is loaded with vitamins and minerals (such as vitamin A, folate, and potassium) and low in calories? One serving of zucchini skins accounts for only 40 calories!
Let the cooking begin..
The zucchini is sliced into fourths...
2 medium zucchini (cut in quarters - see above below)
1/2 of medium tomato (chopped)
1/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
4 teaspoons fresh chopped herbs (basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley)
1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
a pinch of salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
2. Bake zucchini for about 20-25 minutes (or until inner flesh is translucent)
3. Remove the inner flesh (seed portion) of the zucchinis (should all come out in one piece) and place outer shell on baking sheet. Tip: Ensure that you remove the entire inner flesh, otherwise you will have a mushy skin
4. Sprinkle desired amount of salt and pepper on zucchini shell; fill with tomatoes; sprinkle with cheese blend; top with herb mix
5. Bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is browned
Serving size: 2 skins • Servings: 4 • Calories: 36.8 kcal • Protein: 3.6 g • Sodium: 70 g • Carbs: 4.2g • Fat: 1.0 g • Fiber: 1.2 g • Sugar: 2.2 g