Happy 4th of July! In honor of the celebration for the US independence day I have come up with a delicious treat that I am overly excited about. Over the past few summers it has been a personal tradition to take a dessert known as "fruit pizza" to my friends' parties. Although I always enjoy the fruit pizza, I simultaneously always feel guilty about the amount of calories the "fruit" pizza contain. Do not let the description fruit pizza deceive you; the large amount of sugar, butter, and cream cheese point to an unhealthy food.
I wish you could see my face to see how excited I am about the healthier version of a fruit pizza I have come up with! I get excited when a "sweet treat" is under 150 calories per serving, and this glorious treat comes in around approximately only 110 calories. You may ask how can the calories be this low? Well I have lowered the sugar and fat amount of the ingredients to achieve a lower calorie and fat dessert that you can now serve to your friends and family.
I do have to give some credit to my creation to the blog Chocolate-Covered Katie from where I obtained the sugar cookie recipe for the crust. This is another great blog to check out for healthier dessert options.
Did I mention how good this treat tastes?! Yummy!
Ok..well it is time to learn how to make this fantastic dessert.
Well after a few more pics! :)
Ingredients (cookie crust):
3/4 cup white enriched flour (or whole wheat flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar (or your favorite sweetener)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1 + 1/2 tablespoon fat-free milk
1/4 cup light Smart Balance buttery spread melted (I used slightly less than this amount with 1 teaspoon apple sauce)
non-stick cooking spray
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit
2. Spray small round baking pan with non-stick cooking spray (I used small 9 inch diameter cake pan)
2. Mix together all dry ingredients for cookie crust
3. In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients for crust; add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Spread cookie dough mixture on baking pan. The dough should be spread extremely thin (~1/2 - 3/4 cm), because it will rise surprisingly more than expected.
5. Bake at 325 degrees fahrenheit for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
Ingredients (pizza sauce and topping):
1-6 ounce container of fat free light vanilla yogurt
2 ounces fat free cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/8 - 1/4 cup Splenda sweetener (depending on how sweet you like things - I used 1/4 cup)
Your favorite fruits (ie. strawberries, blueberries, peaches, kiwi, etc).
1. Using a small mixer, mix together yogurt, cream cheese, vanilla, and sweetener until well blended.
2. Spread mixture over cooled cookie crust.
3. Top with favorite fruit in desired design.
Servings: 8 • Serving size: 1/8 pizza • Calories: 110 kcal • Protein: 2.9 g • Sodium: 489.5 mg • Carbs: 19.3 g • Fat: 2.6g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Sugar: 8.4 g
Happy 4th of July!!